A Free Ride Home
If you walk, bike, bus, carpool, vanpool or rollerblade to work just one day a week, you can receive a free taxi ride home in an emergency — no matter where you live!
Use this service if you have an emergency during your workshift, and you did use an alternative commute strategy that day.
For example, use this service if:
- You or a member of family is ill.
- You or a family member has a crisis.
- Your boss asks you to work longer than your regular shift without notice.
- Your carpool driver had to leave early.
- Fill out the registration form and send it to Ecology Action.
- Get a ride voucher from your Employee Transportation Coordinator (ETC).
- Need a ride? Call Santa Cruz Yellow Cab at 423-1234.
- Give your voucher to the cab driver–the driver will do the rest!
- This program is not designed for your personal use for errands, pre-planned medical appointments, business-related travel, working late without a supervisor’s request or carpool or vanpool vehicle breakdown.
- Transportation to a doctor or hospital resulting from an on-the-job injury is not covered by this program. Your company has separate procedures for worker’s compensation incidents.
- In the event of a major area disaster, this service is not available. A mass departure from member employers could not be accommodated by this service. It is wise to make advance transportation arrangements to apply in the case of a major area disaster.
For more details and information, contact Ecology Action or your Employee Transportation Coordinator.
Many commuters won’t even try using alternative transportation because they fear that in the event of a personal or family emergency, they might be stranded at work. The purpose of Ecology Action’s Emergency Ride Home (ERH) program is to eliminate this fear. This ERH program serves ridesharers, bus riders, bicyclists, walkers and telecommuters. With this “commuter insurance policy,” we hope to encourage more commuters to use alternatives to driving alone.
Description of Service
The Emergency Ride Home program provides commuters who use commute alternatives, and who work for companies that belong to Ecology Action’s Transportation Membership Services, with a free ride home in the event of an emergency during the workshift.
This program serves commuters who are both: Regular (at least one day per week) carpoolers, vanpoolers, bus riders, bicyclists, walkers and/or telecommuters (including employees who use a combination of these methods).
Employees of Ecology Action’s member employers who preregister with Ecology Action.
Valid Reasons for Using the Service
- Illness of commuter or family members.
- Crisis of commuter or family member.
- Unexpected request of a supervisor to work past regular “quitting” time. (“Unexpected” is defined as not knowing before the start of the shift.)
- Commuter stranded at work because the driver of carpool had to leave. If the carpool driver has an emergency during the day, or has to work late, all stranded riders will be able to take the ride home at the end of the day. Vanpool riders are eligible if the driver or alternate driver are not available.
- Drivers of carpools or vanpools are also eligible for this program in the event of a valid emergency situation.
- This program is not designed for employee’s personal use for errands, pre-planned medical appointments, business-related travel, working late without a supervisor’s request or carpool or vanpool vehicle breakdown.
- Transportation to a doctor or hospital resulting from an on-the-job injury is not covered by this program. Refer instead to the company’s procedures for worker’s compensation incidents.
- In the event of a major area disaster, this service is not available. A mass departure from Ecology Action’s Transportation Membership Services employers could not be accommodated through this service. It is suggested that commuters make advance transportation arrangements to apply in the event of a major area disaster.
No out-of-pocket expenses for eligible employees who use this service as outlined in the policies.
Special arrangements have been made with Yellow Cab Co. (Santa Cruz Transportation, Inc.) to provide rides for Ecology Action’s Emergency Ride Home program. The terms of these arrangements are:
- 24 hour taxi service
- Taxi arrives within 15 minutes of call (within 30 minutes to Davenport or Watsonville and 45 minutes to Bonny Don)
- Taxi will transport the participant to any home location. Employees needing an emergency ride may also use this program to transport themselves to the location of the emergency, if it is other than their home. For example, the commuter may need to respond to an emergency at a hospital or school. A cab may be asked to wait for up to 15 minutes at the initial destination.
Limitations of Service
- Employees using this program for “unexpected overtime” reasons can only use this service to go directly home. Non-emergency side trips are not permitted.
- Eligibility for this program must be approved by the Employee Transportation Coordinator (ETC) prior to employee participation.
- ERH rides are only available on the days an eligible employee is using a commute alternative.
- On preregistering with Ecology Action, the employee will receive two cab vouchers. Section 1 must be completed by the ETC prior to issuing vouchers to employees. Vouchers are valid until March 31 of each year. For each year that an employee elects to use commute alternatives, new vouchers will be issued.
- In an emergency, the employee calls Yellow Cab Co. directly, tells the dispatcher that he/she has Emergency Ride voucher and orders the cab ride. (Each employee who uses this program is responsible for following the proper internal company procedures which apply to leaving the workplace during a workshift.)
- The taxi arrives within 15 minutes and provides the employee with a free ride home.
- On reaching his/her destination, the employee signs the voucher, keeps the yellow copy and returns the white copy to the cab driver. Ecology Action will pay for the ride and a tip at the end of the month.
- Yellow Cab will send monthly invoices to Ecology Action. Ecology Action will review all expenditures and pay for services rendered plus gratuity. Ecology Action will notify ETC’s of their employees’ use of the ERH program.
- Ecology Action or the member employer has the right to verify the trip purpose of any ride taken under this program. Abuse of the program may result in disciplinary action and/or expulsion from this program or other programs offered by Ecology Action. Member employers are responsible for reimbursing Ecology Action for ineligible rides taken by their employees.
- Ecology Action will provide ETC’s with the names, home and work addresses and work phone numbers for all employees who are preregistered for the ERH program. ETC’s need to regularly update Ecology Action regarding changes in employee eligibility for this program.
- Ecology Action may send evaluation surveys to ERH users. The evaluation asks questions about employees’ ERH experiences and serves as a foundation for program improvement.